About the Technical Activities Division
Who We Are
The Technical Activities Division provides a forum for transportation professionals to identify, facilitate, and share research and information related to transportation. The Division carries out activities on behalf of TRB sponsors and the transportation community through a network of over 200 standing committees and task forces comprised of more than 5,000 volunteers and supplemented by designated TRB representatives from each state, over 150 universities, and 35 transit agencies.
Watch our free 30-minute webinar to learn more. (You must have Windows Media Player.)
The Technical Activities Division supports TRB’s mission of promoting innovation and progress in transportation through research and information exchange by identifying needed research and research in progress, and disseminating completed research results.
The Technical Activities Division staff consists of specialists within each transportation mode and topic. They oversee the activities of the Division’s network of volunteers, who carry out the following activities:
- Standing committees and task forces provide an opportunity for you to network with others in your field, and stay current on emerging issues while contributing to the continuing evolution of transportation research and practice. Learn how to get involved in standing committees and task forces
Aviation Group Brochure
Freight Systems Group Brochure
Marine Group Brochure
- Technical Activities Council, consisting of the overall Chair and the Chairs of each of the Groups of committees, provides a forum for interchange between the Groups of committees, the TRB Executive Committee, and TRB Staff. They assist in identifying emerging topics of interest to the transportation community and cross-cutting issues, and foster outreach efforts to other transportation organizations.
- Conferences, Meetings, Webinars & Workshops are sponsored and cosponsored by many of the Division’s standing committees and task forces
- TRB Annual Meeting is hosted every year and is the largest transportation conference in the world with over 500 sessions, workshops and 300 meetings that attracts over 10,000 professionals from around the globe. The Annual Meeting is held in January of every year in Washington, DC
- Supporting State DOT Representatives & Our Field Visit Program serves as a major source of information collected and disseminated by TRB. Transportation professionals on the TRB staff meet on site with representatives of state departments of transportation, and with representatives of universities, transit and other modal agencies and industry. Annual results of field visits are published each year
- Publications are disseminated by the Technical Activities Division that showcase transportation research results through Transportation Research Records, Conference Proceedings, and Transportation Research Circulars