Technical Activities Group Councils, Sections, Committees, and Task Forces
The approximately 200 standing committees of TRB's Technical Activities Division are organized into eleven Groups. Six of the Groups consisting of some 150 committees address various functional components of transportation, with a major focus on highways. Each of the remaining five Groups concentrates primarily on a specific mode, i.e., public transportation, rail, marine, aviation, and freight systems. The combined functional and modal structure creates the synergy among the groups to make it possible for TRB standing committees to address the wide variety of specific and cross-cutting transportation research issues.
The standing technical committees and task forces of the Transportation Research Board:
- Provide for a mutual exchange of information among committee and task force members on socioeconomic and technological developments
- Identify research needs
- Stimulate needed research
- Advise on research priorities and procedures
- Evaluate and interpret research findings
- Review papers for presentation at TRB meetings and for publication
- Encourage the adoption of appropriate research findings into practice
- Arrange special programs, conferences, and workshops
TRB encourages you to become involved in Technical Activities Division committee activities.
To search the committee membership and committee scopes or find a committee homepage visit the TRB Committees, Panels, and Task Forces page.