TRB’s 2017 Annual Meeting News Room is located in the Walter E. Washington Convention Center, Room 304
, and will be available to credentialed media during the following hours:
- Sunday, January 8 - 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Monday, January 9 - 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, January 10 - 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, January 11 - 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Thursday, January 12 - 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
TRB staff will be available in this room to assist media who are registering on-site. The room also will be equipped with tables, chairs, and beverages; however, media must display their 2017 Annual Meeting registration badge and media ribbon to use this room. The news room will not be secure; media registrants are responsible for securing their personal belongings while at the Annual Meeting.
TRB has released a number of media advisories about this year's Annual Meeting:
Please review the directions below based on media category and previous TRB Annual Meeting attendance.
|| Directions for registering for the meeting
First-Time Media Registrants
All Freelance Photographers and Journalists
Print, broadcast, online, trade, business, consumer journalists registering for first time with a new employer
- Through January 1, 2017: Receive Approval for Advance Media Registration
- Review the accreditation information below and email requests no later than January 1, 2017, to Lisa Berardi Marflak at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If approved, TRB will provide directions to register online through January 11, 2017
- Advance registration will enable advanced access the Annual Meeting program and save time waiting in line on-site at the registration desk.
- After January 1, 2017: On-Site Media Registration
- Present credentials in person at the News Room during the hours shown above to obtain a credential acceptance form.
- Proceed to the Registration Desk to receive an official media badge and ribbon.
Media returning to the 2017 meeting with the same employer from:
Print / Online / Broadcast / Trade / Business / Consumer publications
- Do not need to submit credentials
- May register online any time between now and January 11, 2017.
Media must provide the following credentials if they are registering for the first time, freelancers, bloggers, or journalists who have changed employers since attending their last TRB Annual Meeting.
||Accepted forms of credentials
Print / Online / Broadcast media:
The media outlet must either regularly cover the transportation industry or target a general audience.
- Publication's masthead from the most current issue
- Official press badge from their employer
- A link to the publication's website with the reporter’s name displayed as news staff (news director, producer, editor, reporter, anchor, photographer, videographer)
- Link to video or audio of the reporter’s work on a media outlet's website or links to samples of videos that have been produced in the previous 12 months
Freelance Writers, Videographers, Photographers:
Focusing on the transportation industry or target a general audience.
Examples of op-eds, reviews, commentaries, letters to the editor, or work that appears in open forums are not considered eligible documentation for media credentials by TRB, unless the writer can demonstrate that these are part of a continuing, regular assignment from a publisher.
- Byline or an editorial credit in a masthead of a general or transportation-related media outlet published within the previous six months.
Trade, Business, and Consumer Publications:
- Business card that includes either an editorial or reporter title.
- Masthead that includes the reporter’s name and title, and two bylined transportation-related articles published within the previous six months.
Currently writing about the transportation industry, and the blog is not a perceived or actual method for promoting a consultant, agency, or organization.
The blog will be reviewed to determine that it:
- Has been in existence for at least six months.
- Clearly indicates sponsored content.
- Provides original, dated, industry-focused editorial content, posted at least five days per week.
- Includes the requesting media as a site contributor, and that his or her title includes editor or reporter.
Not Eligible for Media Credentials:
Email credentials and requests to:
- Employees of corporate or other closed-circuit publications
- Accounting, administration, art director, graphic designer, manager, advertising or marketing representative, public relations, sales representatives, president, vice president, promotions, engineers, marketing managers, managing editors, general managers, or any other non-editorial media outlet personnel.
- Industry consultants.
- Personal website writers or creators.
- Writers for an Internet-based newsletter, website, or blog that receives the majority of its content from links, press releases, sponsored content, or reader contributions.
- Writers for an Internet-based newsletter, website, or blog that acts as a real or perceived means to promote a consultant or organization.
- Anyone whose principal purpose for attending the TRB Annual Meeting is for reasons other than for reporting, analyzing, and commenting on the transportation industry, industry news events, new products, business developments, and other news associated with TRB.
Lisa Berardi Marflak
Transportation Research Board
The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine
500 Fifth Street, NW
Washington, DC 20001