TRB will conduct a webinar on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 from 2:00-3:30PM ET about how the Highway Capacity Manual (HCM) can be used to support agencies’ planning, programming and management decisions in a cost-effective manner. Released by TRB, the HCM is used by transportation agencies to evaluate the current and future operations of roadway facilities. The new HCM 6th Edition includes the companion reference document, NCHRP Report 825
: Planning and Preliminary Engineering Applications Guide to the Highway Capacity Manual. This guide demonstrates planning applications in the HCM that can be used for long range planning, travel demand modeling, alternative scoping and screening, and system performance monitoring.
This is the first webinar in a two-part series. The second part
will demonstrate planning applications of the new HCM, and will occur on Wednesday, June 28, from 2:00-3:30PM ET.
This webinar was organized by the TRB Standing Committee on Highway Capacity and Quality of Service. Participants must register in advance of the webinar, and there is a fee for non-TRB Sponsor or non-TRB Sustaining Affiliate employees. A certificate for 1.5 Professional Development Hours (PDHs) will be provided to attendees who register and attend the webinar as an individual. This webinar is eligible for 1.5 Certification Maintenance Credits by the American Institute of Certified Planners.
- Tom Creasey, Stantec Consulting
- Paul Ryus, Kittelson & Associates
Moderated by: Brian Dunn, Oregon Department of Transportation
- Guide scope and structure
- Part 1: Overview
- Part 2: Medium-level analysis
- Part 3: High-level analysis
- Applications to be discussed in webinar 2
- Question and answer session
The first 60 minutes of the webinar will be for presentations and the final 30 minutes will be reserved for audience questions. The Registered Continuing Education Program (RCEP) categorizes this webinar activity as relating to health, safety, and welfare including core technical.
At the end of this webinar, participants will be able to:
- Describe what “planning” and “preliminary engineering” mean in an HCM context
- Understand why the Guide was developed, its intended audience, and its general structure
- Identify common planning tasks to which HCM methods can potentially be applied
- Apply the case studies provided in the Guide to specific planning tasks
There is no fee for employees of TRB Sponsors
or TRB Sustaining Affiliates
who register using their work email address. In addition to employees of TRB sponsor organizations, the following are eligible to receive complimentary webinar registration:
- TRB and National Academies employees;
- Chairs of TRB standing committees, sections, or groups;
- CRP panel members who were involved with developing the report or project that is the subject of the webinar;
- Members of the media;
- Employees of tribal governments; and
- Members of Congress or their staff.
Other sites must pay $95 per site. View our pricing page
After registering you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.
Professional Development Hour Information
A certificate for 1.5 Professional Development Hours (PDHs) will be provided to Professional Engineers (PEs) who register and attend the webinar as an individual. For groups, only the person that registers and attends the session will receive a PDH certificate.
Individuals registered as Florida PEs are no longer required to email TRB with your license number to report your attendance. Instead, please use your certificate that TRB provides through RCEP.net as verification of your attendance to the Florida Board of Professional Engineers.
Please check with your licensing board to ensure that TRB webinar PDHs are approved by your board.
This webinar was developed in October 2016. TRB has met the standards and requirements of the Registered Continuing Education Program (RCEP). Credit earned on completion of this program will be reported to RCEP by TRB. Certificates of Completion will be issued to individuals who register for and attend the entire webinar session. Complaints about registered providers may be sent to RCEP, 1015 15th Street, NW, 8th Floor, Washington, DC 20005. Website: www.RCEP.net.
American Institute of Certified Planners Certification Maintenance Credits
This webinar is approved by the American Institute of Certified Planners for 1.5 Certification Maintenance Credits. Please make sure that you register for this session and log-in using the link that TRB provides to your email account. We use this as your record that you attended this session. TRB only maintains the records of attendees who use their email address to log into the webinar, and cannot verify attendance of individuals who view the webinar without personally logging into the session.
Please visit the Certification Maintenance section of APA’s website, Certification Maintenance webpage at www.planning.org/cm
to claim your credits. You may use the following steps:
1. Log in using your ID# and password.
2. Select View my CM log.
3. Select Add CM-Registered Credits.
4. Using the CM Search option, type in the name of the event or event number (e.g. 21064) and click "Go".
Please note: If searching for an event by Provider, use the search option, type in the name of the provider and click “Go”. From the results below, select by clicking on the name of the provider.
5. From the results below, find your event and select "Add to My Log." If this is a multi-part event, you will have the option to select from a list of activity sessions.
6. Please rate the event, add a comment (optional), and click on the Ethics statement and check the box to confirm. Note: you should see a message indicating the CM reporting period year that you are logging.
7. Click submit and the CM credits should appear in your CM log.
If you have problems reporting your CM credits or have general questions about the CM program, please contact AICPCM@planning.org
Registration questions? Contact Reggie Gillum at RGillum@nas.edu
This Summary Last Modified On: 4/21/2017