TRB conducted a webinar on Tuesday, March 28, 2017, from 2:00PM to 3:30PM ET about how to balance the issues of public safety and community noise with highway rumble strips. The presenters focused on the practices relative to installation of rumble strips in a manner that will minimize community noise.
This webinar was organized by the TRB Standing Committee on Transportation Related Noise and Vibration. A certificate for 1.5 Professional Development Hours (PDHs) was provided to attendees who register and attend the webinar as an individual. Contact Reggie Gillum at RGillum@nas.edu
for instructions on receiving a copy of the recorded webinar.
- Judy Rochat, ATS Consulting
- Cathy Satterfield, Federal Highway Administration Office of Safety
- Bruce Rymer, California Department of Transportation
- Paul Donavan, Illingworth & Rodkin, Inc.
Moderated by: Judy Rochat, ATS Consulting
- Introduction to rumble strips’ current status
- Federal Highway Administration (FHWA)’s Rumble Strip program
- California Department of Transportation (Caltrans)’s experience with rumble strips
- Quantifying noise and operator disturbance from rumble strips
- Question and answer session
The first 60 minutes of the webinar will be for presentations and the final 30 minutes will be reserved for audience questions. The Registered Continuing Education Program (RCEP) categorizes this webinar activity as relating to health, safety, and welfare including core technical.
At the end of this webinar, participants will be able to:
- Understand how rumble strips enhance traffic safety
- Describe approaches to install rumble strips in ways to potentially minimize community noise
- Identify methods to quantify noise levels and operator disturbance
There is no fee for employees of TRB Sponsors
or TRB Sustaining Affiliates
who register using their work email address. In addition to employees of TRB sponsor organizations, the following are eligible to receive complimentary webinar registration:
- TRB and National Academies employees;
- Chairs of TRB standing committees, sections, or groups;
- Members of the media;
- Employees of tribal governments; and
- Members of Congress or their staff.
Other sites must pay $95 per site. View our pricing page
After registering you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.
Professional Development Hour Information
A certificate for 1.5 Professional Development Hours (PDHs) will be provided to Professional Engineers (PEs) who register and attend the webinar as an individual. For groups, only the person that registers and attends the session will receive a PDH certificate.
Individuals registered as Florida PEs are no longer required to email TRB with your license number to report your attendance. Instead, please use your certificate that TRB provides through RCEP.net as verification of your attendance to the Florida Board of Professional Engineers.
Please check with your licensing board to ensure that TRB webinar PDHs are approved by your board.
This webinar was developed in October 2016. TRB has met the standards and requirements of the Registered Continuing Education Program (RCEP). Credit earned on completion of this program will be reported to RCEP by TRB. Certificates of Completion will be issued to individuals who register for and attend the entire webinar session. Complaints about registered providers may be sent to RCEP, 1015 15th Street, NW, 8th Floor, Washington, DC 20005. Website: www.RCEP.net
Registration questions? Contact Reggie Gillum at RGillum@nas.edu
This Summary Last Modified On: 3/28/2017