As part of the SHRP2 Tuesdays Webinar Series, TRB conducted a webinar on September 24, 2013 from 2:00 p.m.-3:30 p.m. ET that explored the project Precast Concrete Pavement Technology, which produced the report Precast Concrete Pavement Technology
as well as model specifications for precast concrete pavement. View the recorded webinar
There is no fee to attend this webinar and other webinars in the SHRP 2 Series; however, participants must register in advance. A certificate for 1.5 Professional Development Hours (PDH) will be provided to attendees who register and attend the webinar as an individual.
Rapid construction techniques can significantly minimize the impact on the driving public, as lane closures and traffic congestion are kept to a minimum. By reducing road users’ and workers’ exposure to construction traffic, safety is also improved.
This webinar will include information about the findings from this SHRP 2 project, including:
- A review of available precast concrete pavement systems
- A summary of applications
- Guidelines for design, fabrication, installation, and selection of systems
- Tools for cost/benefit assessment
Panelists will provide guidance for making the most of precast concrete pavement systems to assist the concrete pavement industry in accelerating roadway reconstruction without sacrificing quality, while also enabling traffic lanes to reopen sooner.
The intended audiences for this webinar are pavement and materials engineers at state and federal transportation agencies; concrete pavement industry and professional organizations; and consulting organizations with a strong business investment in the selection, design, and construction of concrete pavements.
- Shiraz Tayabji, Applied Research Associates Inc.
- Tinu Mishra, California Department of Transportation
- Samuel S. Tyson, Federal Highway Administration (FHWA)
Moderated by: Jerry DiMaggio, Transportation Research Board
- Part 1: Overview of SHRP 2 mission, objectives of the Renewal focus area, and SHRP 2 research program
- Part 2: Technical presentation focused on research outcomes and precast concrete pavement systems products: brief state of the practice regarding the use of precast concrete pavement systems; and research products, conclusions, and outcomes
- Part 3: User experience from a state department of transportation
- Part 4. Related FHWA research and planned implementation activities
- Part 5: Question and Answer session
The first 60 minutes of the webinar is for presentations and the final 30 minutes is reserved for audience questions.
- To understand how the modular pavement technology research products add to the existing body of knowledge on concrete pavement design and construction.
- To describe the research outcomes and products from this project, and the benefits of adopting them into project level and routine practice.
- To describe the challenges that transportation agencies need to overcome to successfully implement modular pavement technologies.
- To learn how to apply the precast concrete pavement technology guidelines and tools to select suitable projects where the technology can be applied.
To ensure that you receive notices about upcoming webinars, please subscribe to the TRB Transportation Research E-Newsletter
This webinar is sponsored by SHRP 2, and no fee is associated with registering for this webinar.
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.
Professional Development Hour information:
A certificate for 1.5 Professional Development Hours (PDH) will be provided to Professional Engineers (PEs) who register and attend the webinar as an individual. For groups, only the person that registers and attends the session will receive a PDH certificate.
Individuals registered as Florida PEs are required to email Reggie Gillum, RGillum@nas.edu
, with their license number.
This webinar was developed in August 2013. TRB has met the standards and requirements of the Registered Continuing Education Program (RCEP). Credit earned on completion of this program will be reported to RCEP by TRB. Certificates of Completion will be issued to individuals who register for and attend the entire webinar session. Complaints about registered providers may be sent to RCEP, PO Box 1686, Clemson, SC, 29633. Website: www.RCEP.net
Registration questions? Contact Reggie Gillum at RGillum@nas.edu
This Summary Last Modified On: 9/24/2013