Blue Ribbon Awards for TRB Standing Committees
The TRB Technical Activities Council (TAC) Blue Ribbon Committees Program recognizes exemplary best practice standing committee activities and the volunteer efforts associated with those activities. The Blue Ribbon Committees serve as role models, with committee Chairs and members sharing their experiences with others.
- Community Building & Mentoring: Construction Management Committee for turning research needs statements into funded research projects through industry outreach and collaboration;
- Advancing Research: Highway Capacity and Quality of Service Committee for promoting and sponsoring transportation research that has established a broad range of tools applied by practitioners, researchers, educators, and policymakers;
- Communications: Rail Transit Systems Committee for innovation in communication through development of a committee history report, introduction of LinkedIn connections, and enhancement of e-mail communications; and
- Contributing to TRB and the Transportation Community: Vehicle–Highway Automation Committee and the Intelligent Transportation Systems Committee for leading the international community for road vehicle automation through the automated vehicle symposia, and the Performance Management Committee (Honorable Mention) for applying a new performance management framework to enhance TRB’s strategies and the success of the organization
- Community Building & Mentoring: Rail Freight Transportation Committee for implementation of the “SummerRail” conference, creating capacity, mentoring, and interconnectedness across the entire Rail Group and beyond;
- Advancing Research: Transportation History Committee for development of a transportation history blog, production of historical exhibits,
and writing historical content for TR News;
- Communications: Regional Transportation Systems Management and Operations Committee for developing a coordinated TSMO Research Program with peer organizations,
and writing historical content for TR News, and Ecology and Transportation Committee (Honorable Mention) for creating a newsletter for internal and external audiences; and
- Contributing to TRB and the Transportation Community: Transportation Planning Applications Committee for planning and organizing the Transportation Planning
- Community Building & Mentoring: Committee on Traffic Flow Theory and Characteristics for engaging young diverse participants through innovative and inclusive outreach; and collaboration in research, education and training;
- Advancing Research: Transportation Asset Management for turning research needs statements into NCHRP funded research projects; and
- Contributing to TRB and the Transportation Community: Standing Committee on Roundabouts for facilitating implementation of roundabouts through innovative dissemination and outreach of research and best practices, and the
Joint Subcommittee on Active Traffic Management (Honorable Mention) for advancing advanced traffic management concept as innovative approach to improve safety and travel."
- Communications: Travel Survey Methods ABJ40 (Policy & Organization Group-Data & Information Systems Section) for “Ensuring that the travel survey community has access to the best and most up-to-date information, documentation, and details on survey methods."
- Community Building & Mentoring: Women's Issues in Transportation ABE70 (Policy & Organization Group-Policy Section) for “Cooperatively pursuing activities with the Women’s Transportation Seminar that enhance the professional development and career advancement of women in the industry.”
- Advancing Research: Operational Effects of Geometrics & Geometric Design Committee (joint effort) AHB65 & AFB10 (Operations & Preservation Group-Operations Section; Design & Construction Group-Design Section) for “Jointly developing a strategic geometric design research program in consultation with AASHTO Technical Committee on Geometric Design.”
- Contributing to TRB and the Transportation Community: Conduct of Research ABG10 (Policy & Organization Group-Research & Education Section) for “Championing and leading a variety of TRB activities, special initiatives and ongoing partnerships contributing to TRB and the transportation research community.”
- Contributing to TRB and the Transportation Community: Urban Transportation Data and Information Systems ABJ30 (Policy & Organization Group-Data & Information Systems Section) for “Expanding the depth of research on urban transportation data through a number of joint subcommittees devoted to emerging transportation data issues.”
- Communications: Planning & Environment Group ADA60
(Planning & Environment Group. Transportation System Policy,
Planning and Process Section) for “Communicating Concepts with John and Jane Q. Public.”
- Community Building & Mentoring: Railroad Operation Safety AR070 (Rail Group) for “Young Members Scholarship Program.”
- Advancing Research: Highway Safety Performance ANB25 (Systems Users Group; Safety Section) for “Highway Safety Manual.”
- Contributing to TRB and the Transportation Community: Transportation Network Modeling ADB30 (Planning & Environment Group; Travel Analysis Methods Section) for “Improving Connections with Practitioners.”
Process and Schedule
Nominations will be requested from Sections and Groups each year. Each Section/Group may nominate one or more of their committees in each of the four categories. Nominations are due to the TAC in September.
The description of the Committee’s best practice activities shall be no longer than 500 words and must relate specifically to the category for which the committee is being nominated. Activities do not have to be limited to the current year, but should include recent activities up to and including the current year. Nominations of committees that won previous Blue Ribbon Committee Awards are acceptable providing that the nomination is based primarily on activities/programs other than those for which the committee won an earlier award.
A subcommittee of the TAC will review the nominations based on the selection criteria and recommend selection of Blue Ribbon Committees in each of the four categories. The subcommittee may also recommend an honorable mention in each category. The recommendations will be considered by the full TAC during its fall conference call and final selections will be made.