Submit a Paper:
For presentation at the TRB Annual Meeting or for publication in the Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, or both.
- May – Select TRB standing committees issue calls for papers. While papers addressing any relevant aspect of transportation research will be considered, some committees solicit papers in specific subject areas to help potential authors identify topics for their papers. Committees produce calls for papers through June, so authors should visit TRB’s website periodically.
- June 1 - TRB paper submission website opens. Authors who enter at least their abstract into the TRB paper submission website will have online access to the more than 9,000 papers that have been published in the Transportation Research Record since 1996 for background and references.
- August 1 - Deadline for submitting complete papers for presentation at the next Annual Meeting and for publication in the next Transportation Research Record journal series. Papers must be in PDF format and must be submitted by August 1. Papers for the next Annual Meeting or Record series are not accepted after this date.
- October 30 – Authors are notified of paper acceptance or non-acceptance. Each paper is evaluated by a minimum of three reviewers selected by TRB in accordance with procedures approved by the Governing Board of the National Research Council of the National Academies.
- November 15 - Deadline for submission of revised papers approved for presentation at the TRB Annual Meeting for inclusion in the Compendium of Papers and for rereview.
- March 15 - Deadline for submission of the final draft of papers that have been recommended by the peer review committee and that have been accepted for publication in the Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board. Final drafts are not accepted after this date.
All papers for presentation at the TRB Annual Meeting or for publication in the Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, or both must be submitted via the paper submission website.
All papers for consideration for the Annual Meeting or Authors planning to submit papers receive password-controlled, limited web access to individual papers published in the Transportation Research Record (TRR): Journal of the Transportation Research Board since 1996. Access will be provided after submission of an abstract for a paper via the paper submission website. This feature allows authors access to some of the latest research in their areas of interest.
Information on the citation format for TRR papers is included in TRB's Information for Authors. Information for Authors also provides instructions for submittal of papers and guidance on the organization and formatting of manuscripts. Authors are advised to consult TRB's Information for Authors immediately prior to submitting a paper to ensure that it adheres to the latest guidelines. The guide covers the organization and formatting of peer review and final versions of manuscripts, as well as instructions for submission. Papers that do not follow the guidelines may not be considered for presentation or publication.
For presentation at a Transportation Research Board (TRB) sponsored or cosponsored specialty conference.
TRB’s calendar includes a listing of all upcoming transportation research-related conferences that are sponsored or cosponsored by TRB. Many of these meetings include paper presentation sessions. Notices of calls for abstracts or papers are included in each meeting announcement. You can view the calendar by date or browse it by mode and subject area. Deadlines for paper or abstract submissions for specialty conferences vary. Details are included on each meeting’s website.