** This webinar experienced technical difficulties on June 25. We will be broadcasting the second-half of the webinar on June 26, 2013 from 2:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. ET. Please re-register to view this June 26 webinar
TRB will conduct a webinar on June 25, 2013 from 2:00 p.m.- 4:00 p.m. ET that will present the results of a recently completed pooled fund research project on subsurface drainage for slope stabilization. Participants must register in advance of the webinar, and there is a fee for non-TRB Sponsor employees. A certificate for 2 Professional Development Hours (PDH) will be provided to attendees who register and attend the webinar as an individual.
This second webinar of a two-part series will introduce groundwater and MODFLOW modeling and instruction on how to calibrate models. In addition, it will discuss control of drainage design and solutions.
This webinar was organized by the TRB Standing Committee on Engineering Geology (AFP10). On May 29, 2013, TRB held a webinar on Subsurface Drainage for Slope Stabilization, Part 1 of 2
- Greg Pohll, Desert Research Institute
- Rosemary Carroll, Desert Research Institute
Moderated by: Tom Badger, Washington State Department of Transportation
The first 90 minutes of the webinar is for presentations and the final 30 minutes is reserved for audience questions.
- General project overview
- Modeling overview/background
- Developing a conceptual model
- Modular Three-Dimensional Finite-Difference Ground-Water Flow Model (MODFLOW) overview
- Calibration strategies
- Break for questions and answers (10 minutes or less)
- Discussion of training required and graphical user interfaces
- Controlling factors of drainage design
- Analytic solutions
- Numerical solutions example; how modeling can yield non-intuitive results
- Questions and answers (15-20 minutes)
- To identify at least one characterization activity for each of the eight basic hydrogeologic parameters identified (e.g., water level, hydraulic conductivity) given a prospective drainage design site
To ensure that you receive notices about upcoming webinars, please subscribe
to the TRB Transportation Research E-Newsletter.
There is no fee for employees of TRB sponsors
who register using their work email address. In addition to employees of TRB sponsor organizations, the following are eligible to receive complimentary webinar registration:
- TRB and National Academies employees
- Chairs of TRB standing committees, sections, or groups
- Members of the media
- Employees of tribal governments
- Congressional staff members
Other sites must pay $89 per site. View our pricing page
After registering you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.
Professional Development Hour information:
A certificate for 2 Professional Development Hours (PDH) will be provided to Professional Engineers (PEs) who register and attend the webinar as an individual. For groups, only the person that registers and attends the session will receive a PDH certificate.
Individuals registered as Florida PEs are required to email Reggie Gillum, RGillum@nas.edu
, with their license number.
TRB is classifying this webinar as an activity related to business practices. Please note that some jurisdictions do not accept educational activities in this area or have limitations as to the content. Please check with your licensing board to ensure that TRB webinar PDHs are approved by your board.
This webinar was developed in March 2013. TRB has met the standards and requirements of the Registered Continuing Education Program (RCEP). Credit earned on completion of this program will be reported to RCEP by TRB. Certificates of Completion will be issued to individuals who register for and attend the entire webinar session. Complaints about registered providers may be sent to RCEP, PO Box 1686, Clemson, SC, 29633. Website: www.RCEP.net
Registration questions? Contact Reggie Gillum at RGillum@nas.edu
This Summary Last Modified On: 6/26/2013