TRB will conduct a webinar on July 29, 2013 from 2:00 p.m.- 3:30 p.m. ET that will explore state perspectives and key considerations on improving the signing and marking of roundabouts. Participants must register in advance of the webinar, and there is a fee for non-TRB Sponsor employees. A certificate for 1.5 Professional Development Hours (PDH) will be provided to attendees who register and attend the webinar as an individual.
Webinar presenters will describe current and future roundabout issues related to the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) and the signing and marking modifications aimed at improving information processing and improving driver comprehension and decisions that reduce crashes.
In addition, presenters will highlight state perspectives from New York and Washington State Departments of Transportation. Specifically, the speaker from Washington State will discuss the signing and marking of roundabouts for efficient and safe operations and the speaker from New York will examine various signing and marking techniques that have been successfully implemented.
- Gene Hawkins, Texas A & M University
- Brian Walsh, Washington State DOT
- Howard McCulloch, New York State DOT
- Mark Johnson, MTJ Engineering
Moderated by: Gene Hawkins
- Role of the MUTCD in Signing and Marking Roundabouts (Hawkins)
- Signing and Marking Washington State Roundabouts (Walsh)
- Signing and Marking New York State DOT Roundabouts (McCulloch)
- Improving a Poorly Operating Roundabout (Johnson)
The first 60 minutes of the webinar is for presentations and the final 30 minutes is reserved for audience questions.
- To increase awareness of interpretations of the MUTCD by various agencies for roundabout signing requirements and best practices.
- To differentiate between “required” and “optional pavement markings” on single and multi-lane roundabouts.
- To understand the importance of signing, marking design, and implementation as well as ways to stripe that reduce conflict points and maintain capacity.
- To learn what works in states with different roundabout signing and marking approaches.
To ensure that you receive notices about upcoming webinars, please subscribe
to the TRB Transportation Research E-Newsletter.
There is no fee for employees of TRB sponsors who register using their work email address. In addition to employees of TRB sponsor organizations, the following are eligible to receive complimentary webinar registration:
- TRB and National Academies employees
- Chairs of TRB standing committees, sections, or groups
- Members of the media
- Employees of tribal governments
- Congressional staff members
Other sites must pay $99 per site. View our pricing page
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.
Professional Development Hour information:
A certificate for 1.5 Professional Development Hours (PDH) will be provided to Professional Engineers (PEs) who register and attend the webinar as an individual. For groups, only the person who registers and attends the session will receive a PDH certificate.
Individuals registered as Florida PEs are required to email Reggie Gillum, RGillum@nas.edu
, with their license number.
Please check with your licensing board to ensure that TRB webinar PDHs are approved by your board.
This webinar was developed in April2013. TRB has met the standards and requirements of the Registered Continuing Education Program (RCEP). Credit earned on completion of this program will be reported to RCEP by TRB. Certificates of Completion will be issued to individuals who register for and attend the entire webinar session. Complaints about registered providers may be sent to RCEP, PO Box 1686, Clemson, SC, 29633. Website: www.RCEP.net
Registration questions? Contact Reggie Gillum at RGillum@nas.edu
This Summary Last Modified On: 7/16/2013